No matter how sincere, hardworking or honest you are, there will always be some people ready to judge and shower you with criticisms and not-so-music to ears remarks about your potential, dedication and skills. Welcome to this peculiar world of ours where nothing comes for free except these free advice and negative lectures which time and again turns us down. While criticisms can be good at times, most people find it difficult to accept these, resulting in a downfall in their performance.
Read the points below carefully and try to understand the various aspects regarding this issue:
1) A chance to improve: Nobody is perfect. No matter how efficient you are, there is still some room for improvement. What most people do not understand is that criticisms are necessary in every step of our life to make us aware f our limitations and take necessary steps to improve them.
2) Distinguish between constructive and destructive Criticism: There are people who want to help you and see you succeed in life and again there are people who want nothing less than your destruction. Ignore those criticisms which you feel can do no good to you.
“Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man’s growth without destroying his roots.”
–Frank A. Clark
3) Learn to admit your flaws: Nobody wants to hear any negative things about them. And you are not an exception to this. But when you are criticized for something, question yourself honestly whether you deserve this. If yes, then why? It is not wrong to commit mistakes but it is definitely wrong not to admit it.
4) Take responsibility: Your boss criticized you for not being able to finish the project on time? And you are angry on him? Instead of frowning on people for criticizing you, learn to take responsibility for the loss and commit yourself to prevent such mistakes in future. Some people have this habit of passing the blame on others. Never do this!
5) Ignore jealous remarks: If you feel people criticize, curse or shout at you out of jealousy, be happy because you are far ahead of them and it is none of your business to waste time and energy dealing with them. Just listen and ignore. And if possible smile…trust me it will pinch them like hell.
6) A chance to prove: Sometimes criticisms can do wonder for people by igniting the urge to perform and prove their worth. If you were criticized for being inefficient, dull, lazy or unworthy, take it as a challenge and prove the world how wrong they were! Even if you fail initially, these criticisms won’t let you rest until you have done what you had to do. So, in a way these criticisms work as an energy system to keep you determined and focussed.
“The better a work is, the more it attracts criticism; it is like the fleas who rush to jump on white linens.”
Browse through the pages of history, read the lives and struggles of great people. You will realise how badly they were criticised throughout their life until they achieved what they had to achieve. No matter how much you hate criticisms, you can never really get rid of these and there will always be some people to remind you how inefficient you are! And these remarks can either break you or make you depending on how bad or how well you handle these things.
Believe in yourself and stay confident. The people who criticize you hardly know your capability and have judged you based on one or two things. It is you and only you who know your real potential.
Have you ever felt low, disturbed or pain due to the criticisms showered on you by colleagues/boss/friends or any other person around you? If yes, then please let us know, how you did you tackle the situation?